7.14.2011

Know your numbers



Do you know your numbers....?
I started thinking about all the different numbers one should know when it comes to health.
Confession... I do not know all of mine. I actually need to know a few more. But theses are the ones I think you should know.

Weight
Highest Weight: 245
Current Weight:
227
Goal Weight: 150
I have been looking online for resources for what is a healthy weight range for me. I found
Dr. Halls WebSite. I like it because it lets you put in your weight, height, etc and gives you a few different charts so you can set realistic goal weights. My favorite chart/weight was the Peoples Choice Ideal Weight. It gave me weight of 162. I know if I get to 162 I would be super cute. Thats for sure.
Healthy Weight Range: 110-140

Body Mass Index (BMI)
Starting BMI: 43 (morbidly obese)
Current BMI. 40
Healthy BMI Range: 18.5 - 24.9


((Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.))

Target Heart Rate Range: 100-150 (55% to 85% of max Hr)

Definition: Target heart rate (THR), or training heart rate, is a desired range of heart rate reached during aerobic exercise at which the heart is being exercised but not overworked. This theoretical range varies from person to person and is based on one's fitness level, age and physical condition. The THR can be calculated by using a range of 50-85% intensity.

Check out this chart I found HERE.



Blood pressure: 110/71
Taken from WebMD. Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against blood vessel walls. The heart pumps blood into the arteries (blood vessels), which carry the blood throughout the body. High blood pressure, also called hypertension, is dangerous because it makes the heart work harder to pump blood to the body and it contributes to hardening of the arteries or atherosclerosis and the development of heart failure.

There are several categories of blood pressure, including:

  • Normal: Less than 120/80
  • Prehypertension: 120-139/80-89
  • Stage 1 high blood pressure: 140-159/90-99
  • Stage 2 high blood pressure: 160 and above/100 and above

People whose blood pressure is above the normal range should consult their doctor about methods for lowering it.


A1c level: 5.6
Taken from WebMD:"For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test is between 4% and 6%. Because studies have repeatedly shown that out-of-control diabetes results in complications from the disease, the goal for people with diabetes is an hemoglobin A1c less than 7%. The higher the hemoglobin A1c, the higher the risks of developing complications related to diabetes."



Cholesterol: 145
Taken from WebMD: "Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like substance made in the liver and other cells and found in certain foods, such as food from animals, like dairy products, eggs, and meat. The body needs some cholesterol in order to function properly. Its cell walls, or membranes, need cholesterol in order to produce hormones, vitamin D, and the bile acids that help to digest fat. But the body needs only a limited amount of cholesterol to meet its needs. When too much is present health problems such as heart disease may develop."

Doctors recommend your cholesterol stay below 200. Here is the breakdown:

Total CholesterolCategory
Less than 200Desirable
200 - 239Borderline High
240 and aboveHigh




I feel pretty good about how much I "know my numbers" but there is one number that I have yet to face and it is very important. I can't run/hide/stall this number for long. Especially since it is so crucial. That number is My Waist Circumference.

My Waist Circumference:????

WHy Waist Circumference Matters: Waist circumference is the measurement of your waist, just above your belly button. A larger waist circumference is an accurate predictor of abdominal fat, which increases your risk for heart disease. Women with a waist circumference larger than 35 inches and men with a waist circumference larger than 40 inches have a higher risk for heart disease than those with smaller waist sizes.

Waist Circumference Disease Risk Chart

The chart below details the increased risk of diseases such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cardio vascular disease associated with excess weight.

Weight Category

Men < 102 cm (< 40 in.)

Women < 88 cm(< 35 in.)

Men >102 cm ( >40 in.)

Women >88 cm ( >35 in.)

Underweight

---------------

Normal Weight

---------------

Overweight

Increased

High

Obese

High

Very High

Obese w/BMI>34.9

Very High

Very High

Morbidly Obese

Extremely High

Extremely High



Well this is my take on Knowing your numbers. I Know where I am and what I wanna work on.

How are your numbers....?
Hmmm

1 comment:

  1. I keep those target numbers in my head as well. It is the waist circumference that I concentrate on. I am apple shaped, so a waist/hip ratio (WHR) of .85 would be awesome for me as it is the healthy limit. For pear shapes there is surely a reason to celebrate, it is the healthiest shape! (A WHR of 0.7 for women and 0.9 for men have been shown to correlate strongly with general health.)

    ReplyDelete

Check a few of my Fav Blogs

Follow by Email-You'll get an email everytime I updated my little spot in the blog-o-sphere